Wednesday 23 April 2014

S - Skin-picker: Dermatillomania



For as long as I can remember, I've picked at my own skin. During winter, I would pull the loose skin from my lips and this would continue throughout the seasons. My fingers would be bleeding from their sides and I have never had beautiful long nails... 

During my teenage years, I began picking my feet. Bleeding toes and heals dug into made walking difficult.

Recently, I began picking at my arms and I've created various scars.


I have Dermatillomania, a psychological condition in which one obsessively picks at their skin.

everyone with 'Derma' experiences different things. Some may idly pick during everyday activity, where others may purposely seek out the mirror to rid their face and other various skin areas of bumps or lumps; things that in their mind, don't belong under their skin.



We are not drug addicts. We are not freaks. We are not self hammers.

We are people who suffer from something in our minds. Something that we can't escape. 

We are people who simply need support, guidance and love. 

My struggles vary. Today I began picking my lip again, which I haven't done in months, however my arms are scarred and my feet are throbbing along with my fingers. It's not easy, but it's me. I'm getting there... I will survive this. I always have,






Your Starfish Story is still being written. . . Have faith 




1 comment:

  1. Wow from the pictures you do it exactly how I do.

    ReplyDelete