Thursday 10 April 2014

I - I swear I'm a Christian!

Thursday 10th April 2014

As a Christian,  it is an understanding that we need to watch what we say..

I group up in a family where swearing (or cussing) comes in in almost every conversation and children in my family begin swearing at an early age (not encouraged, but it happens).
This has made it difficult for me not to. I can humbly and honestly admit that there has not been a day in the past few years that I have not slipped a swear word at least once throughout my day, wether it be purposeful because I'm angry or accidently because I hurt myself. Either way, I still do it.


Am I proud of these feature about myself? No. My swearing habit does not come from God, nor should it be in my life. So what do I do?

I stop. I think. I assess what I'm about to say. I no longer blurt out anything that's in my mind. The human mind is a cruel and dark place at times and the most hurtful words can be born there.

In light of my problem, I have adopted what I like to call "Christianese", a way of getting out that slight "pleasure" of saying the swear, without actually spilling it.

My favorites are "flip" and "shivers". Much more fun to say and don't hurt anyone!

As Christians and non-Christians alike, I believe we need to be careful what we say. Our toungue is an absolute weapon and we should be encouraged to share positivity and encouragement to those around us.


I have been able to conquer gossip, slander and self-criticising, however swearing is my battle.

I encourage you (and myself) to watch what we say... Let's make a positive environment with those around us...




Your Starfish Story is still being written. . . Have faith




4 comments:

  1. Not an issue for me, but you are quite right to suggest that how we speak, both what we say and how we say it, is an important reflection of who we are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do think it sets a bad example, although is profanity a sin in itself? Which words? It's an issue I've wondered about many times over the years! The only time I find myself using them is to add color to a story and, it's so rare, it usually startles my husband to hear! I can't stand to hear people use the Lord's name in vain, though. That's one thing that makes me wince every time!

    Visiting from the A to Z Challenge signup page. It's great to meet you!

    Stephanie Faris, author
    30 Days of No Gossip
    http://stephie5741.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Words have energy, and curse words have bad energy, so yes, we should watch what we say.

    I'm stopping by via AZ, and notice that you haven't been participating this week-- we have to remove non-participants from the signup list as a courtesy to those posting regularly. Pls let us know if you're intending to complete the challenge.

    Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2014, My Latest post

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there,
    Yes intending to complete the challenge. I am currently on a children's camp for abused and neglected children and I can't have electronic devices (this is the first I've had it all week.) Thankyou for letting me know and I will be catching up on Friday if thats okay ? :) x

    ReplyDelete